Kebabs – or shish kebobs – originated in Iran and is a popular Middle Eastern dish, usually consisting of lamb. But we can take the premise and get creative for some really cool ways to save time, eat clean, keep it simple, yet delicious! So…Don’t stress about the long weekends, summer BBQ’s, traveling, picnics, camp fires and Fourth of July celebrations. Each season gets a turn, but that’s no reason to stress about healthy eating. For summers, I always recommend kabobs! It can’t get easier. There’s really no hunk of meat, slice of fruit or vegetable wedge that cannot be impaled by a wooden kabob stick and then grilled over a flame. And summer doesn’t have to own these recipe ideas, either. Whenever we feel lazy or are in a hurry – anytime of the year – we just chop whatever’ in the fridge and stab them all together and grill.
1. Summer pork sausage + pineapple + Bay leaves
2. Shrimp + lemon wedges + onion + jalapeno
3. Bison + bell peppers + onions + garlic cloves
4. Salmon + lemon wedge + purple onion + coconut 5. Beef tips + pineapples + cauliflower + ginger
6. Chicken + lime + strawberries + jalapeno
7. Sausage + mushrooms + white onion + potato
8. Chicken + bacon + pearl onions + zucchini
(grilled or raw!)
1. pineapple, kiwi, blackberry, strawberry, cilantro
2. peach, strawberry, mango, jalapeno
3. blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, cherry
4. tomato, avocado, bell peppers, onion, cucumber
5. orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit
6. banana, strawberry, orange, cherry
7. watermelon, coconut, cilantro, cucumber
Or dude! Any combination of the following with your favorite protein:
- summer squash
- ginger root
- garlic bulbs
It’s not that hard people.
Purchase, chop, impale, season, grill, eat.
Enjoy your summer, play, have fun, get some vitamin sun, stay hydrated, and off course stay healthy!